Meet the Trinity Staff
The Rev Dr Eugene H Kern, Interim Pastor:
- Contact him!
- Throughout my pastor-life, I have had the privilege to serving congregations small and large. Several years ago I found my passion in transition ministry. Nothing gives me greater professional joy than seeing a community move through their season of change with deliberation, grace, and joy.
I want to welcome you to Trinity! This congregation is a place where everyone is welcome and each one is valued as a child of God. I happen to believe that out of the great diversity of creation, God has created a unity. And I understand that unity to be the body of Christ, in which and through which, God gives us to one another for love and care.
If you are looking for a faith community, or simply curious about this thing called the church, please think of this as your personal invitation to Trinity Lutheran Church. You will find welcome here.
Transition ministry understands that change happens all the time. That’s the nature of creation. It happens in our lives and it happens in the church. It’s how we manage and absorb and understand change that constitutes the work of transition. The primary goal of transition ministry is to discern how the Spirit of God is moving in the lives of the members of the community and then examine how the community might choose to respond.
Chances are, some corner of you life is in transition right now. If you would like the company of other saints traveling the same road, I hope you will come and experience the worship and warmth of Trinity. I wish you grace and peace today and every day.
Anita Smallin, our Youth and Family Ministry Director:
- Contact her!
- Before coming to Trinity, Anita served as a youth leader for congregations in Virginia, Maryland and Minnesota. She also served as Program Director at Caroline Furnace Lutheran Camp, in Fort Valley, VA. She earned an MA in Children, Youth, and Family Ministry from Luther Seminary, and holds degrees in Music and Religion (from Luther College, Decorah, IA), and in Outdoor Recreation and American Sign Language (from Northern Virginia Community College). On any given day, she can be found playing the guitar, singing really loud, or drinking way too much coffee. In addition to her ministry at Trinity, she serves on the ELCA Disability Ministries Team.
Marilyn Converse, our Handbell Choir Director:
- Contact her!
- Marilyn picked up her first bells in 1981, at Good Shepherd Lutheran in Pittsburgh, and has not wanted to put them down since. Four years later, she brought her love of bells to Trinity Lutheran and founded its handbell choir, which she continues to direct. She is a member of the Handbell Musicians of America (HMA), has served as the Maryland District Representative for HMA, and is currently serving on the Area 3 HMA Board.
Brian Briggs, our Pastoral Office Assistant:
- Contact the church office!
- Brian is a recent odds-defying cancer survivor, and has many years’ experience in church administration prior to his arrival at Trinity. He holds a Master’s in Religion from Florida State University, and a Bachelor’s in Music and Religion from University of Mobile (AL). Some of Brian’s favorite activities and interests include birding, visiting our National Parks, enjoying many genres of music, and exploring the rich ethnic culinary options in the Washington area.
You may also use this form to request information:
Hold down the CTRL key to choose more than one recipient.