Job Summary: The Pastoral Office Assistant (POA) will be the welcoming person to those who come to Trinity, call, or reach out in other ways during the week. The POA will support Trinity’s efforts to be a thriving and nurturing community, as well as work to help make the congregation well connected and governed. The POA prepares and publishes weekly worship and communication materials, provides front office management and clerical support.
The POA must respect matters of confidentiality. This position requires some desktop publishing skills and creativity, and the ability to manage and update social media platforms and the website. Hours for this position are 25-30 hours per week in the church office, with some telework possibilities. This position reports to the Pastor. A background check will be required.
Helpful attributes for the position include experience and familiarity in a church or faith community setting and the ability to do some light bookkeeping.
Trinity Lutheran Church is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principal of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free from harassment and discrimination. We celebrate the uniqueness of the individual and do not discriminate based on race, color, nationality, family status, age, sexual orientation, gender, religion, or belief. While we are a Christian worshipping community, we respect other belief systems and religious understandings. Trinity encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
- Provide warm, welcoming reception to office visitors
- Answer phone calls/messages/emails and direct calls/messages/emails to appropriate persons
- Receive mail and package deliveries, distributing to appropriate persons
- Weekly Sunday worship service bulletins
- Gather information from Worship leaders for inclusion in bulletins and pertinent community announcements
- Layout, edit, print weekly bulletins in both regular and large print versions
- Prepare binders for Pastor, Assisting Ministers, Acolytes for use in the worship services
- Weekly Tidings blog post
- Gather announcements and other material for inclusion in blog post
- Finalize and publish blog post before 1 pm on Thursdays.
- Monthly Trinitarian newsletter
- Gather articles, announcements, and other materials for inclusion in newsletter
- Layout, edit, print newsletter in format ready for mailing
- Publish newsletter (revised, web-optimized version) on Trinity website
- Monthly Council packets
- Reports and materials provided no later than Friday morning before the Council meeting, by Council members and the Pastor, Director of Youth and Family Ministry, Financial Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Included are any supporting materials such as cost estimates and other matters pertinent to the business of Council.
- The Council packet is made available electronically by the end of the day the Friday before the Council meeting.
- Periodic Special Announcements via USPS or bulk email (as needed)
- Layout, edit, print church brochures – e.g. Welcome, Ministry Info, Stained Glass, History
- Create and post content for Welcome TV slideshows
Website and Social Media
- Maintain church website trinityelca.org
- Keep content up-to-date, making seasonal changes, and publishing weekly Tidings blog
- Post to Trinity’s Facebook page and Instagram accounts with timely items of interest, activities and events for the wider community, and coordinate with Social Ministry, Worship & Music, Faith Formation, and other ministries for other relevant postings.
- Understanding and knowing privacy issues and policies
Calendar and Building Use
- Maintain up-to-date calendar of church events and community groups’ building use
- Coordinate with Trinity leaders and the various community groups using our building to prevent conflicts and double-bookings
- Keep records of community groups’ space use agreements and payment records
- Coordinate scheduled Zoom meetings, set up meetings as needed making the ministry lead a co-host, and distribute link to ministry lead.
- Maintain current, accurate membership records in ACS database
- Record sacramental rites (Baptism, Confirmation, Marriage, Burial) in official Parish Register (and ACS database as appropriate)
- Maintain and update the congregation directory annually or as needed.
- Record weekly worship service attendance
- Provide attendance figures for monthly Council meetings, Annual Congregational meetings, and annual Synod reports
Annual Congregational Report
- Update attendance and Sacramental Rites records
- Compile reports from Ministry Teams, Council Officer, Pastor for inclusion in annual report congregational meeting
- Layout, edit, print completed report for congregational use at meeting and archives
Synod Annual Report
- Collect data from Treasurer and ministry leaders for Synod report
- Complete “Form A” and “Form C” for inclusion in Synod annual report and annual congregational trend report
Office Equipment and Supplies
- Maintain inventory of office supplies; reorder as needed
- Maintain office equipment service agreements
- Troubleshoot and remedy equipment and IT issues in office
- Refer larger IT problems/needs to IT manager
- Communicate physical plant concerns and/or repair needs to Property Team and/or Custodian
- Serve as liaison between tradesmen/contractors for scheduling of repairs, regular maintenance, and inspections
- Receive contractors during regular business hours, providing necessary building access and direction
Other Duties As Assigned
- Light bookkeeping possible
- Curate Trinity’s current social media platforms
- Analyzing social media activity and efforts
- Knowing and understanding the Council’s guidelines and policies
- Knowing best practices to make effective use of media
- Creating new content that promotes activities of the congregation within, and to the wider community
- Sharing, as appropriate, outside material such as items posted by the synod or ELCA
- Proficiency with the following software is a must:
- Microsoft Office (principally Word and Excel; Paint 3D, PowerPoint as needed)
- Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Docs)
- Familiarity with the following software is a plus:
- Mailchimp (congregational e-mailing)
- Zoom (video conferencing by congregation groups)
- WordPress (Trinity website)
- ACS (congregation membership database)
- Adobe Acrobat Pro (pdf document editing and consolidation)
- Video editing software experience a plus
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, attention: hiring manager.