Join with us in service to others!
Upcoming service opportunities
- April 1
- April 15 @ 1:45 pm
- May 6
- May 13
- May 20
- May 20 @ 12:15 pm
- June 3
- June 17 @ 1:45 pm
- July 1
- July 1
- July 8
- July 15
- July 15 @ 11:15 am
- July 15 @ 1:45 pm
- July 22
- July 29
- August 5
- August 5
- August 12
- August 19
A Wider Circle
On average, A Wider Circle schedules appointments with 20 families every day so that they can select and pick up belongings for their homes (beds, furniture, household items, art, linens, toys, cleaning products and a non perishable meal). And they do this 365 days a year! Even so, the waiting list is so long that it can take 9 to 12 months to get an appointment.
Trinity adults and youth volunteer at A Wider Circle for several hours every quarter. On these service days, we also deliver gently used donations from members of the Congregation. All ages are welcome to volunteer! Trinity’s Social Ministry Committee schedules and announces specific dates; the next opportunity to serve at A Wider Circle will be posted on Trinity’s monthly calendar!
LSS Refugee Support Programs
Each year Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area (LSS/NCA) resettles more than 600 refugees—each individual with his or her own set of particular needs ranging from employment to healthcare requirements. Since LSS/NCA staff are limited in the time they are able to dedicate to individual refugees, co-sponsors help ensure that each family and individual receives the extra care and guidance they need to reach self-sufficiency.
Trinity has committed to co-sponsoring a refugee family with LSS; the family will arrive near the end of 2017. We are now in the process of collecting furnishings for the family’s apartment. Once the family arrives, Trinity will work jointly with the case manager to support the family as they settle into their new home. Some of the ways we may help: provide transportation to medical appointments, practice English, provide guidance in areas such as shopping, banking, transportation and local resources.
Here are links to materials that describe the sponsorship process:
Links to our partner organizations:
- Back-to-School collection of school supplies for Lutheran World Relief
- Food collection for Bethesda Help
- Mar-Lu-Ridge Walkathon fund-raiser
- Winter Coat Drive for Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service
- Community Family Life Services holiday gift drive
- ELCA Metro DC Gifts of Hope fund-raising campaign
- Prepare meals for Rainbow Place shelter during February as Hunger Awareness month
- Mother’s Day Baby Shower to benefit Lutheran Social Services adoption and HIV support programs
- Conduct monthly worship services at Bethesda Health and Rehab Center, and provide holiday gift packages for the residents
- ELCA World Hunger fund-raising appeals